I'm not entirely sure why, but this anniversary of 9/11 seems to be affecting me more than any of the others. There's nothing special about the number 10, the memories are fading, and life has moved on. But, here I am, reflecting nevertheless.
That day was significant, obviously, in both our nation's history and mine. I want to remember the lessons learned, as Piper says, to not "waste" it. Now, the thought of planes being flown into skyscrapers is part of our collective memory, but on that day, we were incredulous. We were completely taken aback by the evil machinations of a small band of desert dwellers. And, we shouldn't have been. We as Christians, more than any other people, should know the evil that dwells in the hearts of men.
But, we more than any other people, should also have more hope, for we know that justice exists and evil will not triumph.
Here's a link to my Precepts and Promises blog post for Providence 365, which in the providence of God, was my scheduled Sunday in our rotation. And, here's a layout I made with the story of that day and a trip Doug and I took to Ground Zero a few months later.
The journaling might be easier to read here.
With that, I am heading off to church, for it's Sunday morning, which again, in God's Providence is this 10th anniversary. Any answers and any hope in a world of darkness are to be found in His house today.

2 comments:
Now I'm crying again. I never thought about how personal it might feel to you as a flight attendant. I just finished reading "102 minutes - stories of survivors." We all have a story of that day. Thank you for telling us yours.
Thanks. I enjoyed reading your story. Nice journaling!
Post a Comment