My darling daughter and her two equally darling little girls are stuck at Dulles for the night, safely at a hotel. They are flying (well, I'm using "flying" in the loose sense of the word) out to California from Small Town America, using my companion passes. And, after successfully making the first leg to Dulles airport, they got stuck. Firmly. And, my stomach is in tight little knots of worry. Which isn't something that a Calvinist can say with any sort of pride.
It would be OK, really, if it were just Darling Daughter. In our family, getting stuck and winding up in an entirely different place than you planned is all part of the adventure known as stand-by travel. Darling Daughter has had plenty of practice. But, when you add Two Sweet Girls to the mix, who are 4 and 2, it's something entirely different.
So, while I wait to see if perhaps they can get out on the first flight of the morning, The Male suggested that I write a blog post or two to see if I can work through the worry. Frankly, it isn't helping all that much.
While I stayed close to the computer today, constantly checking and rechecking flights and possible ways to get across this big country, I played with some map paper, making several different kinds of flowers.
Yesterday, while I waited, I made this little travel journal for Darling Daughter to record the fabulous memories she will have IF SHE EVER GETS TO CALIFORNIA. I've been wanting to make journals like this for a while now, so this is the prototype.
It has pages from an old road atlas and inclusions of scrapbook paper. I also made some envelopes of maps to keep any little trinkets she might collect. IF SHE EVER GETS HERE.
I am now off to LAX to pick up her luggage, which made the flight, and the littlest Sweet Girl's car seat, as I am LORD willing, picking them up in San Diego in the morning and will need that seat.
So, I'm off, clenched stomach and all. I am praying for them to got out first thing in the morning. I might even give her a call at o'dark hundred to make sure she's up. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment