Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Travel Bag


This has been on my to-do list for ages. I bought the fabric so long go, it was on the very bottom of the stash pile. I've had the pattern for ages, too, and I believe it's still available. I made View E of Simplicity 9000
I have wanted a flat purse for my layovers: flat to fit in my suitcase without taking up too much room and just big enough to carry my phone, camera and wallet. But, we're leaving on vacation next week and I got motivated.
I decided to spiff it up a bit and add a little embroidery. Two and a half hours later....
First, the threat kept breaking, so I changed the needle. Fixed that.
Then, I kept making a bird's next of thread under the throat plate. Called my embroidery-expert sister, and got that fixed.
Next, just when things were humming along nicely, I heard a thump-thump behind me, getting louder and louder. Stopped the embroidery and finally found the problem: the needle thread had once again broken. But, and here's the kicker, instead of just flopping around as usual, the thread had caught in the hinge for the presser foot, inside the machine head, and basically wound a bobbin's worth of thread around it.
Never have done THAT before.
So, with an IKEA lamp, a craft knife, tweezers, and finally a dental pick, I managed to slice, pick, dig and tweeze yards of black (just to make it harder to see) thread out of the hinge.
Just a quick little embroidery. HA!
But, it's finally done and it's perfect.
I did make a few changes. I enlarged the outside pocket, so it will hold a map or a snack (don't leave home with them) easily. I boxed the bottom corners, as the fabric was heavy and the pattern called for just sewn 90 degree angles. I also added pockets inside with slots for pens, my phone and a camera or wallet.
Working with delight, despite the circumstances!

No comments: