Monday, February 6, 2012

I Made it! Monday: The Basic Black Dress

One of my very favorite podcasters/bloggers is Lori, of Sew Forth Now and Girls in the Garden.  Last month, she began a basic wardrobe sew-a-long.  As I was reading through the list of basics, I realized that I was missing quite a few pieces and decided to join in.
Lori began the sew-a-long with the basic black pants in a ponte knit.  I had bought my ponte at JoAnn's, getting the heavier version, but when I got home, I thought it was still a bit too light for pants for my comfort.  So, I decided to use it to make my basic black dress instead.
I had Simplicity 2473 in my pattern stash, and I thought this would be a perfect pattern for a basic dress.
I made quite a few changes to this pattern, though.  I don't like facings, so I made a self-fabric lining for the bodice.  I also used a really fun animal print chiffon to line the skirt.  (I love the feel of a lined dress and appreciate not having to wear a slip.)  I used the missus petite pattern adjustment and also made the waist band about a half an inch narrower.  You'll notice on the pattern envelope that the dress is above-the-knee, so I added about 2 inches to the length, too.  The pattern didn't have an elbow-length sleeve variation, so I shortened the 3/4 length sleeves and added a cuff.  (I sent text messages with photos to my darling daughter, asking her opinion on whether I should make 3/4 or short-sleeves.  She thought the short sleeves looked more modern.)
And, after all that, I'm really happy with this dress.  It fits great, is very comfortable, and doesn't look too severe.  I can imagine that I will make this pattern again,perhaps sleeveless and with the narrow skirt variation.
I added a white sweater to this outfit for church last Sunday.
And, now I'm on to the next garment!  Stay tuned!

9 comments:

Peggy said...

The dress looked great!

Lynneb said...

The dress is great Barb. I'm sure you will get to use ot in so many ways!

Karin said...

You look lovely! This is a great, classic dress.

Tonia2000 said...

I love your dress! It is a great wardrobe basic.

Lori said...

Your dress looks fabulous and your will really enjoy wearing it so many different ways. great job.

Joanne said...

What a great dress - it looks fantastic. I really like how you added the sleeve band.

Mel said...

Beautiful dress! Great job!

Elizabeth Made This said...

What a perfect basic dress. I hope it serves you well. Love the boots!

hankinsjk said...

I believe you made an excellent Fabric/Pattern choice. So current and yet timeless. BRAVO!!!