This was taken in 1975 or 1976, right before or right after I graduated high school. I can tell it's a summer afternoon by the clues. Not by the fact that I was wearing shorts, as we lived on the desert, and shorts were year-round apparel.
Nope, it's summer because it's daylight, and the curtains are drawn. Like I said, I grew up on the desert, and a fact of life was that summers were hot. Beastly hot. 110- to 120-degree days were normal. So, my mom would always keep the curtains closed to help keep the house cool. In my mind, summer is never bright and sunny; it's always dark and enclosed.
And, it's afternoon, because I'm eating ice cream. That was my regular afternoon snack. We must
have gone through a lot of ice cream...
The top I'm wearing is one that I made out of a light-weight cotton, with little flowers. It has a square yoke with gathers front and back and gathered short sleeves. It was easy to make and very forgiving of all the ice cream I was eating in those days! If I remember correctly, I made several of these. I've seen a few new patterns that look very much like this lately!

No comments:
Post a Comment