Monday, September 26, 2011

We're Going Camping!

I know; you can't believe it, either!
We are terrible campers. We've tried and failed numerous times.
We almost asphyxiated ourselves once.
We camped on the beach in a briar patch, and our dog refused to get out of the van.
The only time one of our children had to get stitches was, yep, on a camping trip.
In a moment of pure triumph of hope over experience, we bought an ancient behemoth of a Winnebago. And, mainly drove it around the block every week to avoid a parking ticket.
But, we like the idea of camping.
Consequently, when our oldest son and our daughter-in-law asked if we'd like to go camping with them this fall, of course we said, "Yes!"
It took a little research, but we finally found a place where we could rent yurts for the weekend. Yep, I said yurts.  They had the necessary requirements: close proximity to home, an electrical plug (for The Male's CPAP), and stuff to do in the area to keep two pre-schoolers busy and the grown-ups happy. 
I'm trying to think up little things to make it special for the the littles.  I've found a yummy recipe for s'mores-in-an-ice-cream-cone.  And, a delicious sounding Chicken Enchilada Bowl.
And, today, I made up these little scavenger books for them. I just used some old scrapbook paper, folded to make a pocket, and stitched together with some string.  Each page has either an assignment to do or something to find and tuck in the pocket.
Like a feather or a squished bug. 
I think it will be fun!

No comments: