Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thrifted Thursday

So, like I said, we're going camping.  And, not being campers, we needed some stuff.  Like a stove. 
A few weeks ago, I happened to see that there was a garage sale in my city that listed "camping items" among the things for sale.  And, I just had this feeling that I needed to go to that sale. Occasionally this happens to me. I think it's a little gifting of discernment.  Sometimes I listen better than other times.  I listened this time. 
And, in the afternoon, on my way to get my hair cut, I stopped at the sale.  And, what was sitting on the table??? Yes, my friends, it was a Coleman camp stove!
It was old and beat up and in dire need of a deep cleaning.
I asked how much and was told $10. I offered $5. And, we settled on $7.50.
Now, I knew I was taking a chance buying such a well-used stove. It very well might not work. But, I have a secret weapon for all things in need of repair: The Male! He has both a talent and a gifting for taking broken things and making them whole again. If this stove could be made to work, he was the man for the job!
And, sure enough, with a little TLC from The Male and a good scrubbing with detergent and a wire brush from me, we have a working camp stove! And, as an added bonus, it still looks beat up. Which gives us street cred in the camp ground, as wouldn't we look silly showing up looking like city folk with a shiny new stove???
It looks MUCH better now; this photo is from the day I bought it. I'll post when we get back!

1 comment:

Lissa said...

Street cred! That's awesome!