Today, I accomplished another of my goals for 2009 and I now have my M1, motorcycle, license. Woo-hoo! I have no motorcycle, but that's another story.
Two and half years ago, after putting him off for nearly 30 years, I finally capitulated and told Doug he could get the motorcycle he'd always wanted. I had asked him to wait until the kids were grown, thinking that if I were to become a bike widow, I didn't want to raise them by myself.
Fear, I know, I know....
But, God, with His usual ironic sense of humor, allowed Doug to develop prostate cancer. A much greater fear than a motorcycle, I assure you. So, facing the possibility of Doug's shortened life, his loss of manhood, etc., I decided a bike wasn't such a big deal. I call it his cancer consolation prize.
So far, his cancer remains non-existent and he has no resulting side-effects from the surgery.
But, not to presume on God's good providence, I decided that if bike riding is something he enjoys, then perhaps I should just embrace it and enjoy it with him. Who knows how much time we will have and I don't want to waste it.
Which brings us to today and the fact that now, at 50, I'm finally the biker chick I've secretly always wanted to be.
2 comments:
You go, Girlfriend!!!
Want to borrow my Harley Davidson sweatshirt? Earl has one too. (seriously . . . !) :) I love wearing it and breaking all the molds.
I like breaking the molds, too. When we were out shopping for a helmet for me, we would walk in to a store and immediately, the salesman would assume we were there for Doug. Doug would say, no, we're looking for her, pointing to me. At that point, inevitably, the fellow would look puzzled and I could almost hear the "hummm..." It got pretty funny.
Post a Comment